Peace, Birds and a Hot Cup of Coffee!
This morning I am filled with a sense of peace. Sitting outside in the sunshine, with a cup of coffee warming my hands. I can hear the gentle hum of the traffic way off in the distance, and the drone of a plane flying overhead. The birds singing in the trees. I love this time of day its still a bit chilly as its only March here in England. So the sun hasn’t warmed up very much yet. But with my hands wrapped around my hot cup of coffee and my fleecy jacket on, I feel cosy.
This time of year is when a wider variety of birds start appearing too. Ive seen my first Yellow Hammer, a Jay and a Woodpecker, feeding on our nut feeder. Lots of Long-Tailed Tits, lovey tiny birds with a pink hue to their feathers that flit around in large groups.
And not forgetting the Gold Finches squabbling over the nyger seed in large numbers, as they tend to stick together.
If there are any animals that I can happily sit and watch for ages, its birds. Singing in the trees, bathing in our wildlife pond, flying overhead so gracefully and effortlessly. Their different characters and colours living in harmony with each other and nature.
I’ve always felt at home amongst wildlife and nature spending hours basking in the sunshine watching the comings and goings around me. Its a tranquil time and one that leaves me feeling more positive and motivated.
Sometimes I will just close my eyes and allow myself to go into a state of mindfulness. Losing myself in the tranquillity. Focussing my mind on individual sounds so that it doesn’t wander, doesn’t start worrying about the day ahead and what will unfold.
I am a worrier, often expecting the worst, its such an unhealthy way to live. I’m starting to realise also that I’m not getting any younger and excuse the cliché, life is too short to spend it in a state of nervous negativity. So let me tell you what works for me, it might be something that you can introduce into your daily life too.
- As I said earlier, spend time outside, appreciate nature.
- Watch and listen to the sounds around you. Birds, bees, insects.
- Breathe in the freshness of the air, feel it in the whole of your being and focus on that feeling.
- Lie on the grass and feel the sensation of it on your skin.
- Sit in the sunshine, there’s nothing better than feeling the warmth of it on your skin. It also has beneficial affects as it produces the feel good hormone melatonin, a great natural way to lift your mood.
- Close your eyes and enjoy the sensation of the breeze blowing through your hair.
- Stand in the rain turn your face up to the sky and feel the cool droplets on your skin.
- Walk anywhere that is peaceful. In a woodland, though fields, over hills.
- Sit by a river or stream and listen to the trickle and burbling of the water.
- But most importantly of all let it be your time, away from life’s daily grind and forget about everything else.
I’m feeling good just writing this, so try and picture it in your minds eye while you’re reading it. Even if you cant get outside right this minute try and plan it into your day, you don’t have to do it all at once of course! Pick a few suggestions that are realistic for you to be able to do on a regular basis. Then when you get more time, try adding a few more.
Let me know how you get on in the comments below, or send me a message, I’d love to know. Do you have a favourite from the above suggestions?